Friday 25 January 2013

Water Bottle in London and a Pillow in Nairobi


Wed. Jan. 22 2012

You know the saying "take only photos, leave only footprints"? We teach it to kids at camp to stress the importance of not breaking branches off trees or leaving garbage on the ground. Well turns out I'm not very good at leaving nothing behind as in the airport in London I lost my water bottle, and somehow left my pillow in Nairobi before we got to Eldoret. Only me XD

We have spent the last couple of days catching up on school work we need to be doing through Nipissing while in Kenya. I tried to take classes that would be interesting/applicable for studying away from school so I'm taking Geography of Africa, Environment and Health and Social Change for Social Justice. Had to do a quiz for Geography of Africa, I think it went alright. Since I'm an English major I worry about taking classes outside of English since formats for papers and assignments can be so different. I have quite a few different courses in things like geography, philosophy, sociology though.

I'm very sorry it is so cold in Canada lately:P Anytime anyone wants to escape and come visit we have extra beds! So please forgive me for this comment, but no matter what I do in this sun I burn, I wear so much sunscreen but it doesnt matter I just get red! I think it's being right on the equator. I hope that i will gain a resistance or tolerance soon. Anyway, I think I got heat exhaustion today or at least was way too overheated as I almost passed out in the hospital (what a convenient place XD). But my roommates took good care of me (yay for nurses) and I am fine just tired! I am definitely going to have to remember to wear my hat and drink lots of water!

Today we walked a lot to the schools, hospital and downtown. I now know where the schools are (there is an older sections and younger kids section) as long as I remember on my own! Nervous. I am going to the school on Thurs to meet people and make a schedule. What I am hoping will happen is that in the mornings I will leave at 7 when it's light and walk about 35-40 min to the old classes and teach there in the mornings then walk back to the "nursery" and be there until 3:20 when school is over and then I'm only 10-15 min from home, then I'll be able to start my course work!


Visiting the hospital was very interesting, it was great to hear what Erica and Sarah would be up to on their internship, sounds like they are going to be very busy! And they will do a great job I'm sure. There were so many people and not enough beds and the director who toured us just took is into emergancy rooms and all sorts. And I am deffinitly never working in medicine IDK how people do it, I have the uttermost respect for all those who do. It stressed me out, and it was so different than a western hospital. Oh my. Tomorrow will be very good to stay here and read and I probably could do with a cold shower. Ive been drinking tons of water but its like I still need more my lips and mouth is always dry. I understand how it must be so hard for those without clean water.

Though tired today I'm still having a great time, and learning those. I'm feeling confident from finding our way around ourselves and buying food and supplies. We can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment