Monday 21 January 2013

C'est La Vie


Mon Jan 21 2012

Today we walked to Rena’s for dinner, She is the owner of the school I will be teaching at, as well as the house at which we are staying. She had us over for a delicious vegetarian meal which was very kind. we also had to say goodbye to Karen which was very hard because she really has been our "momma" since we have been here. We wouldn't be here without her.
I am beginning to worry about classes at Nipissing because I have a test on Wednesday and I don’t have time to study! Also who wants to study in Kenya...even when I have a few spare minutes the sun is shining and there is so much to do and see.
Today we walked to Rena's house by ourselves for the first time and did just fine! Tomorrow we will adventure into the market which is so unbelievably busy, although because everyone is outside it always looks like here are tons of people. I continue to realize how important relationships are in kenya as we meet so many people, and the meetings continue to be so interesting and different. We meet so many important people and talk about university business and it's all really cool. I have met the Dean of Education and the Director at the Institute of Gender Equity, Research and Development at Moi and they both have said they would work with me which is so exciting. 
We were in the school of medicine meeting the  Principal of the college of health sciences when there were people on strike protesting and we had coffee in this board room calmly having a meeting while people are yelling and trying to get through the door XD Some things in Kenya are so funny. I also met up with Andrew who was in our special education class at Nipissing last year on exchange form Moi, Im not sure if he remembered me or not but he is a very nice boy and I hope we will be able to meet up again and that way meet more students.
One thing I think is really important to mention, although people stare at us and may call out to us or call us mzungu, as long as we are in the right place there is no hostile attitude towards us, everyone is so friendly and hospital. Food and making someone comfortable is so important as the relationship between people means so much. .Jowi was telling us that when you great someone in Kenya most people ask about your family, even if they don't personally know them they first want to know "how is your family." That really is a nicer and more personal way to talk to someone as opposed to talking about the weather (Which is always so hot and sunny here anyway)  Today when we were at dinner we met Rena's chef again (who has come in to clean our house before) she is both deaf and mute but it is interesting how easy it is to communicate anyway even without knowing sign language, so much communication between humans are done through expressions anyway and I think we should all remember that. If she can  sign to me that I needed to iron my skirt(so funny)without any words, then I dont know.why people think it is so hard to understand each other at all, no matter how different we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment