Friday 1 February 2013

Zebra, Giraffe and Monkey Friends (and Buffalo enemies)


Tues. Jan. 29th
Ah I really need to blog! Slacker. SO I went on a Safari. Whatever no big deal JUST THE BEST THING OF MY WHOLE LIFE EVER.
 I love Kenya, it’s beautiful. And I saw Giraffes, I love giraffes. We also saw crocodiles and Hippos (while we were in a boat XD). And monkeys and ostriches and camels and all kinds of deer and birds. Hyenas who look evil (or maybe the lion king has influenced that a  little). Also terrifying Buffalo, Who knew that Buffalo were so terrifying? They were all “your on my turf” and we were like ahhh slowly inch away. I had so much fun with the girls, which I really think I need to take a moment to talk about because they are so incredible and I seriously think we must have all been brought here together for a reason because there is no way I can imagine it differently. Today we also received another blessing in the form of Grace who has been able to get away and come to our home to cook and take care of us, although we are grown adults being in a new place is so overwhelming that we are kind of a mess. 
School so far is interesting, exhausting, challenging. The kids have made it worth it and its only the second day. The nursery is hilarious because they chatter away to me in Swahili and I don’t think they understand why I don’t reply XD They are so cute although very rambunctious. I tried to introduce ball toss games outside but lost the ball twice over two different fences XD Oh well. I got my class (grade) 6  class to write me a letter to tell me things they thought I should know about them and Eldoret and the school and it warmed my heart that they all were so welcoming and loving. The Kenyan people are very friendly for the most part. Today I got caught in a thunderstorm and took shelter under a little shop roof and before I knew it was welcomed inside and the shop tender emptied a pop crate to turn it over and give me a seat to wait out the storm. Kindness really makes the world a better place.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blogs and love the pictures Sophie! I hope your doing okay! the girls are loving reading what your up to. Kirstie wants to know if there is a girl she can write to in your grade 6 class? I told her it might be too difficult because of distance/language/lifestyle - but told her I would ask. Take care my lovely and keep posting the blogs and pics! Lots of love M x x x

    ReplyDelete