Friday 1 February 2013

Bananas and Moose


Feb 1 2012
Today I did a lot of homework (or tried to) and napped. What an exciting Friday night:P I had to come home early from school because I am feeling not so great. It sucked coming home early today but Im really glad I did. 
School has been very different here, I am trying to figure stuff out and learning that being flexible is even more important than in a classroom in Canada, requiring me to be much more relaxed than my usual self:P. Today for example I taught a full lesson and had 2 more I was meant to teach but then a bunch of students to go swimming. So I combined the class 6 and 7s and taught an impromptu lesson. Also a child in the special needs unit was upset because she had hurt her elbow and ran through my classroom upset, she was scared when I tried to help her and I felt so bad because she is non verbal. I also taught "P.P.I" for the first period with the whole upper school and was just to sing with them. So I basically lead Camp opening circle (Thank you camp songs). So I was singing about Moose and Bananas and all kinds of goofy stuff which the kids loved but when I asked them to show me what they usually do all their songs were religious and apparently they usually read the bible during "P.P.I" so I think I shook things up a little:P Oops, learning. 
The students are adorible though I absolutly can't express enough, they are so sweet and so eager to learn. When I first got to school the classes I had taught a song to yesterday started singing it as I walked by I was so impressed they remembered the words! We also played the game called one-word story which they really enjoyed and helps with creativity and formation of story structure. I have learned that the students formal writing (like writing me a letter) is a lot better then their creative writing which I don't think they have much experience in. They tend to retell stories or change a few names and places in stories they usually know. I think I'm going to focus on trying to develop that, as well as really encouraging reading. If I can get thm to realize the importance of creative expression and maybe find a few who really enjoy it that would be great. On a side note I really wish it would stop raining! (I know at least it's not freezing rain) But in Kenya it doesn't usually rain until April! I hope the rainy season hasn't come early like Mr. Duke has suggested! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment