Wednesday 13 February 2013

Books and Blessings



Feb 13 2012

I want to  blog about something serious. So if you read this and sense an unusual amount of solemnity, and perhaps find it unsettling, then go back and read about moose and bananas k? 
First the library I've been helping to set up, getting the students to start taking out books is really something. The kids are so so excited to get a chance to borrow books (like screaming with excitement) and it really opens my eyes to what I have been so fortunate to have. My ability to be a great reader really led me to other places, and gave me success in other areas. It might have even helped to lead me here now. No matter what I have always had the opportunity to escape in a story. Some of these students want the same, but without access to books what can they do? A book is an extra luxry rarely chosen over other necessities. I am so grateful that the school is able to provide some books for these kids. They are all very lucky that they have this available in their school, as so many others do not. I wish I could have brought all my books with me (why do they have to be so heavy!) as the older kids have way less story books and I would put every book I've saved on my shelf in the library for them if I could. I really wish there was a way I could get more to them. Books are so important and they can lead you so many places and open doors you haven't even thought of. Especially in a curriculum that trains really intelligent students, but trains them towards passing exams, not to creativity or independent ideas. And at times these kids need that more than anything. I think it's going to be a great thing to encourage reading and other outlets at the school.

Additionally, Today waiting for the bus to the library the kids were telling me about the elections. They are old enough to remember last time and the danger that occurred. But young enough that they don't know another life and it's just a fact that danger occurs around them. "People will fight", one of them told me, "and burn my house down". Another child insisted "no, my dad says no one will fight this time". I literally had to hold back the tears. I knew I would worry about the children, and that I am always going to be affected but like everything else it is not quite what you expect. I have only known then a short while but any teacher/parent knows the worry for a child. My students always ask me "teacher do you have any children?" and I say "No just my students." I trust in good and that there will be peace around the elections, and that they will stay safe from any danger they face and be able to have a great future though it may be challenging
Everyday new things amaze me about this place. I’ve always been hesitant about “missions” trips, because I hear so much negative stuff about the money you spend on a trip, when it could go straight to those who need help. That’s why I felt good accepting a position that was sponsored, therefore not using money that could/would be directly beenefitial. However, let me tell you, it can’t. Simple money does a fraction of what opening your eyes does. My life has changed, and though it may have always been heading in that direction so many things are more real now. And people are grateful for support. By loving their country, and by supporting people as people and not as projects to be donated to you change their beliefs too (though donations are great don’t get me wrong, and I know it’s not easy to make such a trip!). Its just that I see now the importance of human connection. So please know, that there are children here, who treasure a secondhand book like it’s the newest Ipad. Who are afraid of the future, but cling to the reassurance of parents who want so desperately to protect them. And they are not the worst off. Keep them in your heart, and do whatever it is that you can, be it donations or support or prayers. Keep my babies safe. Let them be all I know they can be. Love them with me.

Sophie


No comments:

Post a Comment